Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Waiting Game

When you’re father is a former star of Australian Rules Football, it’s fair to assume that having a threshold for pain is somewhat a birth right.
Erin Phillips probably fits into that category, evidenced by suffering a mild concussion last Saturday against the Detroit Shock and not becoming aware of the problem until after the game.
Her father, Greg, knows something about toughness after starring with the Aussie Rules team in Adelaide, Erin’s hometown.
“I rang him up and he knows how frustrated I am,” Phillips said Wednesday, after not practicing for the third time in as many team sessions, “because I don’t like missing out on anything.”
She is cleared for Thursday morning shootaround before the Sun play at the Charlotte Sting, but her status for the game is still unclear. One thing that is certain is Phillips’ desire to return to the court.
The nagging of team trainers and doctors signifies the 21-year-old’s eagerness to get in the mix.
“I must give them credit because I’ve been a pain in the butt because I just went to get out and train,” Phillips said. “And they’re pulling the reins so hard, pulling me up and stopping me. It’s very frustrating but I do understand why they do it.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home