Wednesday, June 28, 2006

My Big Return

After two weeks out of the country at the World Cup, with a few days to recover before returning to work, I’m now back on the Sun beat.
My return has been anything but seamless, since the past two days have provided their fair share of curveballs. Tuesday saw me drive to Springfield, Mass., for the unveiling of a UConn basketball exhibit followed by a trip to Mohegan Sun Arena.
At least the Sun made my job a little easier with a 16-point win over Houston. They still didn’t look great at times – Houston managed to play terrible virtually the entire night – but the Sun are clearly among the WNBA’s elite.
After sending in my last of three stories Tuesday at around 10:30 p.m., my editor told me that a quick change in plans called for me to cover tonight’s NBA Draft in New York. I never mind a trip to the Big Apple, but I also had a UConn media day in the early afternoon for Geno’s incoming freshmen, meaning my work day will easy eclipse 12 hours.
But after all that, I’m here at the Garden with less than an hour before the Draft starts. I’ve spent some quality time doing my research on all of UConn’s draft eligible players – this required some real homework since I don’t cover the men – and I feel prepared for the night. Of course, you can’t feel too prepared at a draft since anything and everything is bound to happen.
We got our first bombshell a few hours back when reports started coming in of Sebastian Telfair’s trade from Portland to Boston in exchange for the No. 7 overall pick. So much for the belief that UConn’s Marcus Williams might be the next point guard of the Celtics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home